Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Saga of the Car

My Xterra is getting old. It will be 7 in August, but it only has 65,000 miles. In my dreams, I would love to have a nice, new Tahoe, but they are expensive and serious gas hogs. As a consolation, I would settle for a Traverse or even a, gasp, minivan! I want something bigger that lots of people can ride in. I never thought I would live to see the day when I actually wanted a mom car, but that day has arrived. Alas, not having a car note is too nice to give up just yet, so I'm sticking with my Tonka truck for now.

While I'm here in FL and have access to an extra car, I decided to have the 60,000 mile tune up done. I've never had a problem or any work done, but I knew things were probably wearing out. I should mention here that the extent of my knowledge about cars is that when I stick the key in and turn, it should start. I hate being a girl and dealing with mechanics and car dealers. I feel like they are always trying to screw me. Fortunately not much was wrong other than needing a recall fixed in the steering column.

When I got the car back, I thought everything was good, then I drove off and realized the steering wheel was all cock-eyed when I was trying to drive straight. It was like it was off center or something. I thought maybe it would fix itself but it didn't. Cue today when I called to have them check it out and the service guy treats me like a complete idiot when I explain the problem. He tries to tell me the car just needs an alignment. I know it needs an alignment, this has nothing to do with that, though. Sure enough, the part they put in there to fix the recall was defective and I am vindicated! I love being right.

It seems like every time I have these regular tune ups done on an otherwise perfect car, something catastrophic happens. I'm really hoping that is not the case this time!

1 comment:

  1. I HATE car drama.

    Once when I took my car in, they knocked out the fuse for the radio. when they put it back in, the radio didn't work, as some kind of security feature. I needed a code that was on the inside of hte radio, that should've been in the owner's manual, but it wasn't. I had to go back AGAIN and have them pop the radio and get the code. Then I had to drive continuously for an hour before it would let me enter the code.

    I never went to the dealer for repairs again.

    ReplyDelete