Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Preschool Tales

Yesterday was the first day that new families could sign up at the preschool we have chosen for Asher. There were already very few spots left for the 2 1/2 year old class. I had always heard about how competitive the preschool scene is in places like L.A. and New York City. I had no idea it was also so competitive in Jacksonville, NC! I got there right at 9:00 am and we were lucky enough to get a spot in the class we wanted. I feel relieved now. I was worried he wouldn't get in and we'd be stuck with choices that weren't that appealing.

I know it's not necessary for him to even start preschool this young, but I felt like it was something he needed to do. I can already tell from his personality (that is pretty much identical to mine) that he's not going to learn well from me. I knew I was never cut out for homeschooling anyway, but he is confirming it every day. Add in the extra dose of stubbornness that he receives from Rob and he becomes unwilling to listen to practically anything I tell him. On the other hand, he listens and behaves extremely well when I'm not around. I'm not expecting him to learn algebra this year, but I think this will be really great for him to learn how to get along with other children his age and learn some social skills. It's hard for him since he's still an only child, although we are working on those skills at home too.

So, starting in August, Asher will be going to preschool Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8:30 to 11:30. We've met his teachers and they seem really lovely. I'm excited for him and at the same time in disbelief that my baby is old enough for preschool.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I'm glad he got a spot, and I bet he will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete