Saturday, March 26, 2011

In Which I Nearly Have a Heart Attack

Being a mom of a toddler is fraught with peril. Being a mom to a male toddler, even more so. I cannot tell you how many times Asher scares me half to death, usually on a daily basis. In the past two days he's run into a table with his eye, ran straight for a pot of boiling shrimp outside only escaping a burn because he fell and scraped his knee, and bumped his head on the grill since he has a habit of not looking where he's going when he's walking.

Tonight was no exception. I just knew we were going to have to go to the ER. You see, my child doesn't like to listen. At all. So when we are trying to fix his crib he grabs a screw out of my hand and he takes off running, he's not going stop when I tell him to. When I finally caught up with him, it looked like the screw was in his mouth. This is another super fun trick of his. He took off running again (did I mention how fast he is?) and when we finally caught him and forced him to open his mouth, there was no screw to be found. Upon questioning, he repeatedly admitted to swallowing the screw. At this point my mom and I are both freaking out. This is no ordinary screw. The thing was huge. It was not going to come out in the usual way. I was envisioning x-rays and scopes to retrieve said screw. Not to mention the fact that we were going to be unable to put his crib back together. Fortunately we found it hard to believe that he could have swallowed the screw so easily and we know the unreliability of a 2 year old witness, so we continued to look for the screw. We finally found it under PopPop's chair and another crisis was averted. At least for now.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow...that boy. :/ Can't wait for E to be that age...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen this movie. I always say Nate is headed for a life of crime as his first instinct is to throw whatever he stole in a place only he can retrieve later.

    ReplyDelete